The Beauty of Blackout Poetry blog
Art is a form of expression and poetry is one of them. Some people do not see the fun in poetry. For them, poetry is boring and dull. But for the people who love it, poetry is fun. One way to recreate the fun in poetry is by trying out Blackout Poetry.
So how does Blackout Poetry works?
Blackout Poetry is done through blacking out as much of the text that you want, leaving behind isolated letters or words or phrases that when read in order, create a poem. Follow these steps and create your first Blackout Poetry:
- Choose the words you would like to retain.
Some people underline the words they would like to retain in pencil so they would know what words to keep and blackout the rest, line by line or sentence by sentence. Or if you are a little frisky about trying this kind of poetry, you may choose to block spontaneously the words you don’t want, line per line. Just make sure that you can create a meaning out of the words that you have chosen to retain.
- Black out everything else.
When you have already chosen the words that you would like to retain, you may now black out everything else and enjoy.
Useful tips to keep in mind:
- Be creative. Poetry is meant to be understood by people. You are not required to confine in conveying the same messages every time you do blackout poetry. You can even try to tell a joke through this kind of poetry if you want!
- Be flexible. There will be times when you will not find the exact words that you need. If that happens, you can just use the letters from several words to create the word you need. There are no rules in poetry. The only divine rule is to express.
- Don’t confuse your readers. You may choose to form lines by leaving spaces for lines to connect your words.
Blackout poetry is such a fun thing to try. Channel your inner poet by doing something fun and amazing. Try Blackout Poetry!
photo grabbed at http://coyotelibrary.edublogs.org/