Are You a Good Friend?
Having someone to be with during a lazy Saturday nights is fun but having someone who can be with you in times of trouble is better. Being a friend is different from being a hangout buddy or a companion. Being a true friend is a difficult job. You can be a true friend or you can simply just be a person who will walk in and out of another person's life.
The only way to have friends is to be one. But, how will you know if you are a good friend? Analyze yourself thoroughly and see if you have these characteristics:
- A good friend is not necessarily always present. The truth is, friendship is built over time. You cannot just be friends with someone who just knew five seconds ago. But, friendship should not solely depend on being always present whenever your buddy needs you. On the contrary, real friends do not feel any awkwardness towards one another after not seeing each other for a long time.
- A good friend always listens but don’t always talk. When you have a problem, you need a companion. But that companion should not always agree with you. A real friend can be true to your face. True friendship blossoms when your friend is brave enough to tell you if you are in the wrong side this time. Being unbiased is a sign of true friendship. A friend will stay with you during bad times but a true friend will pull you off that pit of sadness and surround you with the goodness of reality.
- A good friend is trustworthy. Any relationship that is not built on trust will not last long. However, it is completely normal to talk about your friends to your other friends -- given the reason that you only talk about your friend because you care, and not because you want to degrade him or her.
- A good friend doesn’t easily get turned off. Two people become friends because of certain similarities but their differences should make their bond last longer. People who get easily turned off by other people’s few negative behaviour in spite of the huge number of their positive traits cannot be considered as true friends. A true friend will accept the fact that you are stupid but will love you more because of that stupidity.
- A good friend will make his/her friend feel better about his/her individuality. Friendship is fun. Your friend should make you feel special in any way possible.
Being a good friend is not based on your parents’ genes -- it is based on your personality and outlook in life. To best determine if you are really a true friend, ask yourself this question: “Given your qualities, would you like to befriend yourself?”
photo courtesy of http://www.pinterest.com